Monday, May 30, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Muffins

That's right, I said healthy!

Today I was craving something sweet. Instead of nibbling on the Hershey bar in our pantry, I decided it would be a good idea to make something sweet that I could eat when the craving for chocolate struck, that wouldn't make me feel guilty.

So my kitchen became my laboratory. I experimented a little and ended up making something that really satisfied me. I came up with a chocolate muffin recipe that doesn't contain butter or sugar, and tastes really good. The first attempt was a bit dense and dry, but the second was moist and delicious.

Here is the recipe for you to try:

2/3 cup oat flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
3 TBSP cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup steviva (granulated stevia)
pinch of salt

Mix above ingredients together, then add:

1/3 cup plus 3 TBSP egg whites (or the whites from 3 large eggs)
1/4 cup water with 1 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved & a splash of imitation rum

Mix together with a rubber spatula until moistened. Pour into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 13 minutes. The tops might be a tad moist to the touch, but resist the urge to over bake them. I got 8 muffins from this recipe.

Nutrition facts per muffin: 72 calories, 2.9g fat, 9.7g carbs, 3.4g fiber, 4.2 protein (according to the recipe analyzer on caloriecount.com - I use this quite a lot to get nutritional information from my homemade meals)

Not bad at all! That's not a lot of calories for a treat AND you are getting some fiber and protein too. Of course, I had 4 of them today, but I had to taste test my recipes. I couldn't give you a wonderful recipe without making sure it tasted good!

Please try it and feel free to give me input.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

def going to try this one coz i love to have something with a cuppa !!!